top of page
  • Writer's pictureMagnetic Community News

Sea creature bites and stings

It can be difficult to know if a bite or sting from a sea creature is dangerous or not. This article explains the best first aid treatment depending on the creature involved.

It’s important to be aware that bites and stings can cause a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) in some people. Learn more about first aid treatment for severe allergic reactions in the ‘anaphylaxis’ section below.

Tropical stingers (jellyfish) live in tropical waters around Australia’s coastline north of Bundaberg in Queensland through to Geraldton in Western Australia. The most dangerous are the box jellyfish and Irukandji. The stinger season usually peaks from November to March.

To treat a sting, call triple zero (000) for an ambulance and pour vinegar liberally over the tentacles on the person’s skin for at least 30 seconds to deactivate the sting. Remove any remaining tentacles. If vinegar is not available wash the area with seawater. Do not use fresh water.

Read more at >

32 views0 comments


bottom of page